Friday, October 1, 2010

Advent Posters for Keeping Christ in Christmas pt.1

This next assignment involved creating a poster for the school board to use for 'Keeping Christ in Christmas'. The school board will be using posters from Lourdes this year. I created two posters to submit for selection. The following is the write up for my two posters.

Advent Poster 1- Hail Mary            
When I first thought of Christmas I thought of how important it is to the Catholic community. I wanted to show a picture of someone praying because Christmastime is a time to thank God for our blessings and the birth of our Jesus Christ. Having Mary in this picture was also important because she is the pure woman who gave birth to Jesus. I first started by selecting the entire image and adjusting the brightness and contrast to my preference. I then typed the words that I wanted to place in the picture then arranged them. I decided to change the font colour of the words 'Christ' and 'Christmas' because I feel they are the two most important words in the image. After arranging the words to the selected areas. I found that the image of Mary was washed out, and you couldn't see her face. I selected her with the magnetic lasso tool then selected adjust colour and darkened the shadows, to show the features of the statue better than before. I then filtered the picture with the dark stroke adjustment. I am pleased with this picture, and I feel it brings across the message that we need to remember around the holidays.

Advent Poster 2- God Watches Over Us 
This next poster includes an image of St.Joseph's Church. I used this picture because it shows that Jesus is always with us and watching over us. Sometimes we forget that Christmastime is a time to reflect and thank God for what we have. This image of Jesus also symbolizes that he is always in our minds no matter what. We may forget sometimes but when we enter a church, that is the one person who we thank and pray to. I also included Mr. Macpherson in this photo because he reminds us that we should thank God and always have him in our hearts, I thought that this was a very thoughtful and important message. I first selected the entire picture went to colour adjust, and increased the amount of blue. I then typed in the font and changed them to white to show up against the background, but made sure to keep away from the windows because they washed out the words. I  then readjusted where the words were placed in the picture. Then I adjusted the picture by going to 'filter' and selecting 'cutout'. I am pleased with this simple yet meaningful poster. I hope that it brings the message to others to 'Keep Christ in Christmas'.

1 comment:

  1. Stephen, I think the "Hail Mary" is the superior image because the statue of Mary holding Jesus is a more accurate Advent concept than the cross.

    ReplyDelete