Monday, October 11, 2010

Silkscreens Andy Warhol Style

My Three Silkscreen Images
These are the finished three images of my Andy Warhol style silkscreens. I first took a picture of myself, purposely having the light shine on one side of my face to create the effect that I wanted in the image. After putting it on the computer, I then cropped the picture and lightly smudged the surfaces of certain parts of the picture at a rate of 18% to create the smooth lighting that I achieved in the final images. After cutting out the background I created a new layer for the background colour. After that I selected my image and selected threshold. The main three colours I chose were green, pink, and orange. I first picked the light green so I decided to keep all the colours light to compliment it well. After I chose the green I thought of complimentary colours. I thought red would be too much for the light green so I went with orange, it is still a warm colour yet it's a calmer colour. Red compliments green well so after picking the orange, I also chose a light pink. I chose pink because I felt that having the orange and pink together would compliment green just as well as having the red with it. After placing the three main colours I hand drew lighting on my face from where I thought the light shone on my face the most. The fourth colour in each image is simply a lighter version of the main face colour. I am very pleased with my finished products and I really liked doing the silkscreen project. I will probably do some more of my own in the future, just for fun. :)

1 comment:

  1. Stephen, you're right abut your colour selection, red would have overpowered the green. It has to do with the intensity or value of the colour. The tones you picked are very well balanced. I also like how you cropped this photo. Having part of the face touch the frame is more interesting than a centered image. You're eyes look closed which is also very intriguing. I like the way you have two tones of the same colour to show the contours of your face. That is more sophisticated than you classmates (except Jenna) and most impressive. The only weakness is the hair, which is just a black blob. Having some fringe detail would have been more interesting. You write up is good, nice job using art vocabulary.

    ReplyDelete