Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Overlaying My Face

Before
Starry Eyed


Before
Cracked Mind

 This assignment involved an overlay over our own face to create an image. My first image is called "Starry Eyed". I named it this because when I daydream I sort of look out of it, or starry eyed. Looking up into an infinite space. I achieved this image by cropping the picture to an interesting size. I then created a new layer by selecting my eye with the lasso tool, making sure it feathers the pixels so the edges aren't too sharp. I then changed my eye colour to a purple/blue to compliment the space colours, and raised the contrast of the whites of my eyes. I then chose a high quality image of space and placed over my face. I lowered the opacity, so you can see my face, and then erased the areas that were covering the darkened parts of the picture. Then I warped the image to make it look like it's actually on my face. Then I turned back on the layer that I had with my eye and placed it over the top of the image.

My next image is called "Cracked Mind". It represents when people hide their sadness behind a happy face. The clouds represent when people use the expression that they are on cloud nine, meaning that they are ecstatic. Yet some people hide how they really feel to avoid a confrontation about it. The cracked face, represents the sadness that still shows through the happiness. I first cropped the image of my face, and repeated the process of making my eye a new layer. I decided to keep my eye how it was because I thought my eye colour looked really cool. I then placed a picture of clouds over my face, erased what was covering my eyebrows and then warped the image. I then placed the cracked texture over the entire image, erased what was covering the black parts of the image, then lastly warped the image to make it look like it's on my face. I thought this project was kind of cool, but hasn't beat out the surrealism which is still at number one.

2 comments:

  1. OMG stephen (nope sorry it's me not the teacher) your face is my world NO MY UNIVERSE XD. Love your work. as always. what happened to the panda face? XD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephen, I am very impressed that you posted two projects and that you showed the before and after images. Well done.

    Starry Eyed: Great lighting on the photo and very well cropped. The accented eye makes a powerful focal point. I think you could have done something with the hair as I seem to see a live where the overlay ends. Perhaps just colouring it lightly to match the theme. You are doing a good job titling your work and considering the symbolic meaning.

    Cracked Mind: Again,you've got a very strong concept and it is well executed. You're very wise to remove the overlay from the eyebrow as the darkness and texture of the hair is a good contrast to the overlay. You've got very good lighting but the darkness in the bottom left corner is a bit distracting, although you did a good job softening it. It was wise to leave the shadow by the nose because that helps to give

    And now, for something completely different...Digital Painting.

    ReplyDelete