Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Unreal Surrealism

"TEMPUS FUGIT"
This assignment involved creating a surrealism picture similar to those of Salvador Dali. My picture is titled 'Tempus Fugit' which is Latin for 'Time Flies'. I decided to show how time can escape us so quickly, without us even realizing it. In my picture it shows how time flies literally, and symbolically. The clock in the sky with wings represents time literally flying through the air. The next is how the woman is being born from the egg, yet she is already grown, and time seems to be melting away in her hands. The lampposts represent a child, a grown up, and an old person. It shows how we go through transformations as we age, and it seems to go by so fast, represented by how close they are to each other. I did a lot of stuff to this picture so be prepared for a lot of writing.
First I selected a dark beach for my ground. I selected the sky with the lasso tool and erased it. I then got a picture of a sky that looks sort of menacing because of the dark clouds near the top.I noticed that the clouds in the sky were sort of yellow, so I went to enhance and altered the colour of the ground by increasing yellow. When I was looking for an egg, I decided to do something a little different so I chose a Faberge egg. (I realize that there is supposed to be a clock on the egg, but that was a sacrifice I was willing to make to use the egg that I chose) I then separated part of the egg by copying and pasting part of the egg, and erasing that same part from the original image. Then I drew shadows facing away from the light coming from the clouds. I then copied and pasted the parts of the egg, flipped them horizontally,lowered the opacity, and warped them so they look like reflections. Then I used a brush tool and painted and smudged at the bottom of the egg so it looks like it's embedded in the wet sand. I then got the picture of the girl and the watch she is holding. I selected her dress with the lasso and changed the colour from blue to yellow so it compliments the egg. I put her behind the egg layer and drew some shadows on the bottom of her dress and away from the light. I then altered the colour of the watch, then warped the watch so it looks like it's melting. I put it over her hand, then made a new layer with her hand in it so it looks like she is holding it. I then put in the reflection similar to the egg.  Next I got the lampposts. I coloured the inside so it looks like it's shining light, and where I placed it on the picture I brightened the ground so it looks like the ground is being lit up. I copied and pasted the lamps, and altered the size. I then warped the last one. After that I made reflections like I did to the egg. I put a clock in the sky, then used a brush tool with grey, and low opacity, and painted over parts of the clock. I then smudged it in so it looks like fog. Then I found some wings that are originally supposed to be a brush tool, but I just got the image, altered the colour, and did the fog effect that I did to the egg.
I'm sure I missed some stuff because I did a lot to this picture, but I definitely got most of it down. This has got to be my favourite assignment so far. I loved doing this and I hope that shows in my picture.

2 comments:

  1. Stephen, you're so awesome I can hardly believe it. The thought processes behind this image and the skill with which your executed the work are amazing. Then, to top it all off you were the first one done. I hope you plan to do something with digital design in the future, and I so I trust you are keeping the full sized versions of your work so you can use them in a portfolio.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this isn't spam, I couldn't get you on your cell but I wanted to ask you if you could tell the teacher that I finished my overlay and that she can mark it? :/ I will hopefully be at school tomorrow. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete